Hard to believe
Isn't it just staggering how official UK Policy towards ME fails :
- To accept that ME is classified by the World Health Organisation (ICD10: G93.3) as a neurological disease.
- To clarify that Graded Exercise Therapy is harmful/unhelpful to a high proportion of ME sufferers.
- To clarify that ME is not caused by abnormal illness beliefs.
- To clarify that ME cannot be diagnosed without physical (neurological) signs.
- To clarify that ME, the neurological condition, differs from the mental illness Chronic Fatigue in:
- The epidemic characteristics
- The known incubation period
- The acute onset
- The associated organ pathology, particularly cardiac.
- Infrequent deaths with pathological central nervous system (CNS) changes.
- Neurological signs in the acute and sometimes chronic phases.
- The specific involvement of the autonomic nervous system.
- The frequent subnormal patient temperature.
- The fact that chronic fatigue is not an essential characteristic of the chronic phase of ME.
..and even all this bears very little relationship to the full force of suffering that I witness every day. There are depths to Severe ME that have not even begun to be researched;of that I am certain.
Post a Comment