What makes a good carer ?
After twenty one years of caring for my wife who has Very Severe ME, I wish I could hold up my hand and say I possess all these qualities ! The experience has pushed me to my limits, exposed all my glaring weaknesses; the list below is a work in progress.
That said, it is so important to get it right - the consequences otherwise are unthinkable.
- A willingness to listen
- An openness to learning
- The ability to creatively respond
- The ability to speak up for the person
- The ability to precisely follow instruction
- Great flexibility
- The ability to receive constructive criticism positively.
- A non- judgemental posture.
- Solid understanding that ME is a neurological disease
- An ability to respond quickly and sensitively
- Deep respect
- The ability to see the person as well as the illness
- The skill , courage and knowledge required to advocate effectively
- Self awareness
- Calmness - not easily panicked
- Ability to make creative suggestions, when asked
- Inner and outer peace