Unsupported and Unrecognised

 UNSUPPORTED and UNRECOGNISED

The vast majority of carers here in the U.K., are at breaking point, are struggling with “very bad mental health problems”, are feeling hopeless, despairing, tearful, even suicidal, according to the latest Carers UK Report, please see below.
As if we didn’t know that.
Unsupported, unrecognised , they struggle to carry on.
Same old, same old.
Every single year that I have been a full time Carer, that’s thirty now, a very similar “State of Caring” report is released. Not one has made a difference to my life, as far as I know.



Pay carers at least the minimum wage, provide truly independent support and counselling , maybe find a way to tap into the wisdom and insights us older, long term careers have gained, to help others navigate their way through, offer opportunities for lifelong learning and development, this is absolutely vital, give us all the equipment we need……….everyone knows what is needed.
But no one ever does anything about it. Apart from write reports it seems. And either patronise or clientise us.
I have been forced to live in poverty on less than £1.00 an hour, I have been forced to seek out financial grants and charity just to pay for basics.
Our faith has helped us survive. One of the most noticeable statistics about this Report, for me, is how few carers faith organisations are reaching, barely 4%. Our Church does not reach out to us.
Incredibly, despite everything the carers in this report are determined to carry on.
Me too.
Good thing, for without us the Health, Social and Economic system would collapse. We are the unknown support holding the whole thing together.
I choose to be with my wife, I choose to help her, as she helps me, far more, I choose to live in the power of our marriage, in the power of love. I choose, every day to step up, to be present, to keep growing and learning, to find meaning and hope, I choose to touch the joy and indescribable fulfilment found in stillness and being. I choose to do all I can can to be present to bring life in every moment, I humbly accept that I have such a long way to go yet.
What an extraordinary privilege that is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I am 64 and other false positives : The PACE Trial.

THE STONEBIRD DEFINITION OF SEVERE ME

Paralysis, a qualitative study of people with Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis